Electric, water and heating oil bills are constantly on the rise nowadays. For many people these bill consume a significant portion of their budget. Here are some techniques designers use to help you save money and reduce carbon footprint:
- Design – the first way to save energy is by designing the house energy efficient. One technique involves the positioning of the house in such a way that will reduce heatgain in the summer but aloow for betterer absorbition of the sunrays in the winter.
- Solar Panels – In many climates solar panels could be used throughout the year. Having a well designed Photovoltaic (PV) solar panels system will help reduce, and in many cases completely iliminate, the need for other sourses of energy for heating and cooling.
- Insulation – In additional to traditional roll insulation, the new, more advanced insulation is now available. Lets take for example spray foam insulation. It could be closed or open cell foam and it provides great R values per inch on thickness. Blown-in insulation is often made of renewable materials.
- Lighting – Another way to save energy is by using LED and CFL lights. They may cost a little more but they are more energy efficient, produce less heat and last longer than regular bulb lights.
- Recycled Materials – Using the reciled materials or repurposing shipping containers, for example, helps us reduce energy consumtion indirectly. There are now housing designs that use shipping containers (see examples here). This approach uses very little wood, so it saves trees and the envierment.
Hopefully these few tips can help you decide what kind of house you would purchase in the future.